Hi there! I’m Brittany. This is my blog.
I’m Brittany Goldwyn Merth, the human at the helm of by Brittany Goldwyn, my Internet space for all things creative. My tagline is “live creatively” because I want to inspire you to do just that. I’m married to a cool dude, and together we have three dependents: one toddler and two cats (one toothless, one kind of an asshole, both extremely loved). We live in Frederick, Maryland, which is an awesome little town.
I work during the day as a technical editor, but don’t judge my grammar errors on here. I’m off the clock and banging out content quickly every spare second I have! So now let’s take a minute to cover some common questions, just to save you some time 😉
What will I find here?
This is primarily a modern DIY blog focusing on home decor ideas, basic woodworking projects, fun crafts, small home projects, and more. And planters. Lots and lots of DIY planters. We also live in a townhouse (see the tour here), so I trend toward projects for smaller spaces or projects that have multiple uses.
I love plants and share a lot of plant care and gardening tips on here as well. I often hear people talk about how they can’t keep plants alive, but it’s not that hard! I love to fill my home with plants and share articles about easy-to-care-for houseplants based on my own experience learning through trial and error. I also love cats, so you’ll see a lot of our two little furries Henry and Blanche. I love doing cat-related DIYs.
Although I have a toddler, this is not a mommy blog. I will not give you excruciatingly detailed reports of her daily schedule and development. However, I do share lots of fun kid-related DIYs I make for her! She’s pretty awesome and really cute.
What’s your back story?
I’ve gained a lot of my skills through reading, watching, and trial and error. My dad is also a licensed general contractor and is extremely talented, so I’ve learned a lot from him over the years. I have been blogging here since 2015 and love sharing my projects to inspire others. It has morphed from a really poorly put together blog to a semi-professional space on the Internet. 🙂
What projects are you most proud of?
Speaking of my posts, I have quite a few of them. To help get you started, I’m going to round up a few links for you to peruse. These will give you a feel for my style and the type of content you’ll find here. Prepare to be dazzled!
- Hanging plant pot holder
- Drawer organizer for spices
- Oversized wall art using a tapestry
- Hanging stainless steel bowl planter
- Easy concrete coasters
- How to treat tree branches for indoor use
- 15 chic decorating ideas using spray paint
- Easy monitor stand
Woodworking & Building
- Murphy bed and shelving unit from scratch
- Retro indoor cat house
- Water play table for toddlers
- Dollhouse bookcase build
- Boxy outdoor coffee table using pavers
- Plywood planter with hairpin legs
- Cat tree made out of real branches
Plants & Gardening
- My tiny backyard and garden
- All of my DIY planters to help you decorate with plants
- How to propagate pothos plants from cuttings
- Planting in pots without drainage holes
- Elephant ear plant care guide
- Removing paint from terracotta pots
- Contemporary trellis for a vining plant
- Taking care of succulents indoors
Crafts & Sewing
- Galaxy-inspired epoxy resin paint pour art
- Scrapbook paper and yarn party hats
- Easy balloon garland tutorial
- Cat lady SVG cut file bundle
- Black ice dye napkins
- $1 first birthday cake topper
- Cutting wood with the Cricut Maker
- Sewing zippered throw pillow covers
Where can I see you and your work?
I am so lucky to have had my work featured in many different places. Here are just a few.
- Apartment Therapy // Apartment Therapy // Apartment Therapy
- Bob Vila // Bob Vila // Bob Vila
- Marie Claire France // Marie Claire France
- Kreg Tool’s Build Something
- Ikea College Park Make it Take it Workshop
- Capital Home Show DIY Booth
- Country Living // Country Living // Country Living
- Family Handyman
And here are a few interviews I’ve given and featured I’ve recieved:
- Columbia Forest Products Maker Spotlight
- DecoArt: Meet the Maker // DecoArt Creator Profile
- Hometalk Blogger of the Month
What else do you do?
If you have a question, would like to get in touch about working together, or just want to chat, you can contact me via email. You can also link up on one of the following socials:
Whichever way you contact me, I’ll get back to you as soon as possible! Thanks for stopping by!