Another $100 Room Challenge update! And the second-to-last update. (The $100 Room Challenge is hosted by my friend Erin or Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry, and this time around, I’m working on our second bathroom.) The goal of the challenge is to make over a room using $100 or less. You can see the first update here and then the second update here.
Second Bathroom Facelift // How to Frame Out a Mirror
This is the second-to-last update of my $100 Room Challenge second bathroom makeover! See the first two updates here (before pics and painting) and here (adding plants and whatnot). Today I’m tackling the mirror. If you’re curious about how to build an easy frame for a plain bathroom mirror, this project is for you. I decided to frame out this mirror for two reasons: it’s plain and it has a crack in the side that has been there since we moved in.
This is a cheap and easy project, too. The only tricky part was fitting the frame over the plastic clips at the top of the mirror, but there’s an easy fix for that.
Here’s what I used to build an easy frame a plain bathroom mirror:
(Affiliate links below. You can read more about that here. Thank you!)
- Miter saw
- Drill and bits
- Orbital sander or fine-grit sandpaper if sanding by hand
- KregJig K4
- Pocket hole screws (I love having this pack on hand)
- Clamp—I used a bar clamp—or extra set of hands
- Loctite mirror adhesive
- Paint—DecoArt Americana Decor Satin Enamels in Pure White
And here’s how I did it.
Step 1: First I cut my four pieces to size. I decided not to do miter joints for this because to me they stand out more. Instead, I cut my pieces like this with the intent to sand the assembled frame really well and conceal the joints.
Step 4: Once I’d assembled the frame, I took the top two clips off and using a glue specifically designed for mirrors to glue the mirror to the wall. I put the clips back on to keep everything stable while it dried but later removed them.
You can see the two clips in this before shot of the room (before painting and whatnot):
I mounted it with a few dabs of the same mirror adhesive I used for the mirror.
And here’s the finished product:
Oh, and the shower curtain arrived. More pictures of that next week when everything is finished up. 🙂