I’m doing it.
I’m joining my first One Room Challenge (ORC)! The ORC is hosted by Calling it Home, and it’s a twice-a-year blogging event that challenges participants to completely redesign a space in 5 weeks. I am not a designer, but a lot of DIY bloggers join the ORC as guest participants. And since we just bought our first home and I’ve been hard at work making it our own, I thought it would be fun to jump in this round!
Here is the space I’ll be working on. This multi-use space serves two purposes: my office nook and our dining area. We live in a narrow townhouse, and this is one side of our main living area. The other side is our living room, which is separated from the office nook/dining area by our kitchen. Apologies for my lack of good “before” photos. I was so excited to start this project that I forgot. 🙂
Here’s a shot of my parents in the kitchen just before we settled on the house. That’s the space in the back of the photo.
One of the reasons why I chose this room for my first ORC is that it doesn’t need any renovation. The floors are great and nothing at all needs ripped out. Since we just moved in, I’m truly working with a blank slate!
My goals for this space are…
- Since this is a small multi-use space, I’d like to create a visual separation between the office nook and the dining area using paint.
- Black paint is a must. We did a black accent wall in the living room, and I absolutely love it. I’d love to balance the two rooms by incorporating one in the office nook
- This space has plenty of windows and a sliding glass door, so it gets great light. I want to fill this bad boy with plants!
- Moving is expensive! So I want to reuse some items and DIY a few projects to personalize the room (while also splurging on a few items to really freshen up the space).
Here’s how my tentative to-do list looks now:
- Week 1: Select paint colors and paint walls; replace light figure
- Week 2: Find and install blinds/shades; find & hang curtains; decide on rug (reuse or buy?)
- Week 3: Find & install sliding glass door solar shade; buy new office chair
- Week 4: Paint plant pots; re-pot plants; plant stand makeover
- Week 5: Finalize and hang wall art; DIY additional shelving if necessary; re-finish desk top
- Week 6: Done!
Now…to get painting!