Leftover Pine DIY Hairpin Leg Console Table
This quick and unplanned hairpin leg console table has turned out to be a really great piece. I had a 52-inch piece of wood left over from another project, and it was the perfect size for a console-type table in a skinny little pass-through area we have in our apartment. I ordered some hairpin legs because I’ve been dying to make something with hairpin legs. The legs were a total splurge, but I love them!
This is an easy project that would be a great intro into furniture making. Since it’s a console table that doesn’t hold much weight, I didn’t have to worry about building support into the underside of the table; I just finished my table top and screwed the legs on!
Here’s what I used to make a hairpin leg console table:
(This post contains affiliate links. You can read more about that here. Thank you!)
- 10 feet (length) x 9 inches (width) x 3/4 inch (thickness) piece of pine—Home Depot cut it down for me in the store.
- Power sander and 220-grit sandpaper
- Rust-Oleum wood stain in Golden Oak
- Rust-Oleum Ultimate Polyurethane in Satin (for interior)
- Tack cloth, rag, paint brushes (great deal on chip brushes here)
- Legs, leg hardware, and a power drill. I got my legs on Etsy…you can browse the various hairpin legs and shops here. I was looking for a very specific height, so I had them custom made. You can browse ready-to-go legs here on Amazon.
And here’s how I did it!
Step 1: Even though the wood is unfinished, I gave it a good sand to break the surface and smooth out the edges. I sanded at an angle to round the edges just a bit. After sanding, I wiped it down with tack cloth and gave it a coat of stain. (Read more about staining here.)
I wanted a lighter stain for this piece so that I’d have a nice contrast with the legs. I was iffy about the Golden Oak while it was going on, but I think it turned out really nice.
Step 2: I wanted a very matte finish for this piece, so I gave it three coats of satin water-based polyurethane. I sanded very lightly between coats to smooth out any brush strokes and air bubbles.
Step 3: When the finish dried, I attached my legs using a power drill. (I bought my hairpin legs already finished.)
This was tricky and a little scary because my piece of wood is only 3/4 of an inch thick, so I didn’t want the screws to go all the way through the wood or split it. But I also needed them to be beefy enough to hold the legs in place.
And here’s the final product!