Well well well, here I am again for another round of the $100 Room Challenge hosted by my friend Erin at Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry 🙂 You can read all about the challenge on Erin’s blog. But the quick and dirty is that you have to give a room a face lift for $100.
I love the camaraderie of group challenges like this, so I thought it’d be fun to join in for another powder room in our house. The one that’s in the office/guest room/play room combo space we’ve been slowly working on. You know, like we don’t have anything else going on. Like our jobs or being sick or life in general or this monster.
Alas, since we’ve been working in the space, I thought the timing would work well. Plus that poop cave needs some love. Here’s what it looks like (spoiler alert, it’s a carbon copy of the powder room I did for the previous $100 room challenge).
Here are my plans for the space.
Things I have and will use:
- Sherwin-Williams paint in Basalt Powder and supplies
- Wood for shelves—they are pieces we saved from the Ikea shelving that used to be down here and was falling apart so we got rid of
- Flat black spray paint—I should buy stock in this stuff
Things I need to buy:
(This post contains affiliate links. You can read more about that here. Thank you!)
- Shelving brackets
- New mirror
- New shades for wall-mounted light fixture
To get started, we took the mirror down and took the toilet paper and towel holders off the wall. I used a small can of Drydex spackle we had on hand to patch all holes except the toilet paper holes because that was going back up. After that, I sanded and painted using leftover paint from the main room—Sherwin-Williams Basalt Powder, which is a very light gray. Before putting the toilet paper holder back on, I spray painted it flat black:
Then we mounted the shelving over the toilet. I ended up using the same flat black spray paint to paint the shelving brackets we got. They were a very dark gray, and I just wanted more of a contrast against the light gray wall. We did end up ripping down the shelf pieces to about 8ish inches deep. We stuck with the length they were.
And that’s it for week one. Already sharing a lot of progress, but that’s because I’m planning to focus the updates for week 2 and 3 on specific projects for the room. Until next week—and make sure to check out all of the other participants here:
Comment spam is the worst.
And it's why I had to turn off comments on my posts that are older than a few weeks. However, I want to know if you have a question! You can hop over to my Instagram or Facebook pages and leave a comment or send me a direct message. Thank you for visiting and reading!