Hello! To all of you who celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope you have a good one! We’re hosting for the first time ever, and even though the house isn’t completely where I’d like it to be, that’s okay. It’s getting there, and it will be fun showing everyone the progress we’ve made since moving in in September.
Speaking of progress, did you check out my One Room Challenge reveal a few weeks ago? I worked on a multi-use space on our main floor that we use for my office and for dining. Townhouse life 😉 Here’s a peak:
(This post contains affiliate links. You can read more about that here. Thank you!)
But today I’m sharing some of the progress I’ve made on our living room. When I’m not working at my desk in my little office nook, we’re hanging out in the living room. This was actually the first room we started working on, but it’s taking me the longest to finish. Don’t ask me why…maybe it’s because the One Room Challenge forced me to complete the office/dining space in a set amount of time.
Here’s the first post I made about our new living room progress, and here’s what it looked like then:
As of that post, we had painted, put up a ceiling fan, and put together our new couch. I can’t believe it has taken me this long to give an update on what we’ve done. We’re not done with the space, but we’ve done a lot!
Here’s what we’ve done since then…
We’ve done quite a few projects in the area…including repainting 🙁 Yes, I said repainting. I outlined the agonizing choice I made selecting a light gray paint…and I chose wrong. I went with Sherwin-Williams Icy Avalanche tinted at 50% lighter. Originally I thought it was perfect, but once it’d been on the walls for a few weeks, I decided I didn’t love it. It had a blue tint that I’d really wanted to avoid. When I painted our dining/office space in Sherwin-Williams Repose Gray, I knew that was the perfect color. Here is the dining/office space:
So I decided to repaint the living room. Damnit! But it actually wasn’t that bad. It’s only two walls since the living room is open and I wasn’t repainting the black accent wall. I just put on a Parks and Rec marathon and powered through.
After I finished painting, we hung curtains on all four windows. We ended up going with Ikea curtains because they are the most affordable source I could find for 9-foot ceilings. You can buy many of the curtain styles in 120″ inches! We went with the Ritva curtains in gray.
I had to hem all of the curtains…and yes, that’s 16 PANELS OF CURTAINS. It was a painful night, but I was so happy to have them done and hung. They looked so much cleaner when they weren’t puddled on the ground.
Tree Stump Side Table
I was so excited about this project and think it looks great in the room. Here is my tree stump side table:
My inspiration was a $200 West Elm tree stump side table, and mine cost $10. What do you think? You can see the full tutorial post for this project here! (P.S., you can see the pre-hemmed curtains in the background of this pic.)
Rug & Plants
I put two big plants on either side of the TV. One is a beautiful plant from Ikea, and the other is a faux plant. The area the faux plant is in does not get a lot of light, so we thought it’d work well there. I painted the pots using DecoArt Americana Decor paints in Warm White and Antique Bronze.
The room needed a rug, and I decided on this ivory faux cowhide rug from All Modern. I love it, and it’s perfect in the space! We just need to get a rug pad for it because it does slip around quite a bit on the wood floors.
In addition to the Ikea Nockeby 3-seat sectional in black and white with wood legs, we kept the butcher block coffee table I built last year. (You can see that full tutorial here!) It fits the new couch great!
We also kept our little white TV unit to put under the TV and put the cat tree I made using real branches behind the couch. Here is the cat tree in our old apartment…I’ll shoot it in the new space when I shoot the whole room.
This side of the space looks great, but the area behind the couch needs some help.
- There is a big empty wall that I’m DIYing a MASSIVE art piece for…sharing that tutorial next week! (Update: See it here)
- We need to get a piece of furniture to go behind the couch. We’re thinking some sort of bar cart.
- I need to sew some pillow covers for the black couch pillows. That fabric is a cat hair magnet and it’s gross.
I’ll share more as I get it done…hopefully it’s before 2017 🙂