This post is part of my week of Christmas ornament DIYs series. I’m sharing 7 different DIY projects for clear ball ornaments, each of which you can complete in 30 minutes or less. Today I’m making DIY gold leaf ornaments. Gold leaf is an easy way to make anything beautiful. You can see all of the DIYs here!
DIY Gold Leaf Ornaments
Day 6, and today I’m doing one of my favorite things: gilding with gold leaf. Its messy but beautiful and easy. Here’s a peek at how some of mine turned out:
HERE’S WHAT I USED
(This post contains affiliate links. You can read more about that here.)
- Clear plastic ball ornaments
- Gold leaf
- Aerosol adhesive or a glue stick
- Acrylic paint
- Small paper cups
- Paper towels
- Disposable gloves
And here’s how I made DIY gold leaf ornaments.
Step 1: Apply paint to ornaments
Step 2: Apply glue & gold leaf
Use aerosol glue or a glue stick to spray or draw a simple pattern onto the outside of the ornament. You’ll see that I used the glue stick to draw designs onto the front of ornaments, and I used the aerosol to spray the bottoms for a “dipped” effect.
Then carefully lay the gold leaf down onto the glued areas. Pull off the parts that aren’t on the glue to save!
Step 3: Let dry and burnish off
Go about your business while the glue dries, and then use a paper towel to rub the excess gold leaf off. Do not panic if it doesn’t stick to every glued area. It’s supposed to have a bit of an abstract and rough look.
Seal with a coat of glossy aerosol finish spray in gloss if you’d like. Thoughts? 🙂
Here are all 7 ornament DIYs using clear ball ornaments:
Share my DIY Gold Leaf Ornaments on Pinterest!
- Pour paint into the ornament via the opening and rotate the bulb until the entire interior surface area is covered. Put upside down in a cup to drain extra paint out.
- Use aerosol glue or a glue stick to spray or draw a simple pattern onto the outside of the ornament. You'll see that I used the glue stick to draw designs onto the front of ornaments, and I used the aerosol to spray the bottoms for a "dipped" effect.
- Carefully lay the gold leaf down onto the glued areas.
- Pull off the parts that aren't on the glue to save!
- Go about your business while the glue dries, and then use a paper towel to rub the excess gold leaf off.
- Seal with a coat of aerosol finish spray in gloss if you'd like and you're done!
Comment spam is the worst.
And it's why I had to turn off comments on my posts that are older than a few weeks. However, I want to know if you have a question! You can hop over to my Instagram or Facebook pages and leave a comment or send me a direct message. Thank you for visiting and reading!