This tutorial will teach you how to make an easy DIY fishing pole cat teaser toy for your kitties—with a fun twist for Valentine’s Day.
DIY fishing pole cat teaser toy
Yeah, I made Valentine’s Day toys for my kitties. You got something to say about how much I love my cats? No? Good 🙂
I had my sewing machine out working on something else, and when I already have it out and set up, I like to whip out a few cat toys. Felt is cheap (.49 cents per sheet), and we’re STILL working our way through a large bag of catnip we accidentally bought a year or two ago. It was much larger than we expected it to be, and even though we thought it would lose its potency, the catters still go nutso for it.
So here’s what I used:
(This post contains affiliate links. You can read more about that here. Thank you!)
- Heart stencils (print here: large and small-ish)
- Catnip and little spoon
- Twine, about 2 feet or so
- Scissors and pins
- Wooden dowel and small drill bit
Sewing machine and thread
And here’s how I made a DIY fishing pole cat teaser toy.
1. First I printed out my heart stencils and cut out several heart-shaped felt pieces. I did some two-toned and some the same color front and back.
Felt is the perfect choice for these toys not only because it’s cheap, but because the edges won’t fray.
2. Next I pined two sides together and sewed a straight stitch around about 80% of the heard perimeter leaving a bit of a seam allowance.
You might want to sew back and forth a few times over where the string is to make sure it stays put while your kitty is playing.
And then it was time to party.