You know what’s really annoying? Trying to get a big plate from the cabinet, but the cabinets are so small so the big plates have to go under the small plates, which are under the bowls. And when you try to gingerly slide a big plate out, but you make a bunch of noise, chip a dish, and probably knock over the bowls and small plates. There are worse problems, I KNOW, but let’s not discredit how annoying this is. Bonus annoyance points if you live in an apartment with fixed cabinet shelving, meaning you can’t customize anything or install anything that makes better use of your space.
And then you go to Ikea. And you see this:
$5.99! What a deal. But I remembered seeing this little spice shelf from Engineer Your Space and immediately thought, “I should make a raised plate shelf out of scrap wood!” I’m always looking for good scrap wood projects, and this was a great candidate. Plus the plate shelves at Ikea were too tall for our cabinets. I knew mine wouldn’t be as sleek looking as the Ikea version, but it would do the job. And besides, you’d only see it when you open the cabinets to get a plate. I could live with it.
Here’s what I used:
(Affiliate links below. Read more here!)
- Piece of scrap pine measuring about 15.5″ x 9″
- Pieces of a 2” x 2” x 6’ pine board (this exact one)
- Saw, pencil, measuring tape
- Assorted sandpaper
- Liquid Nails Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive
- Americana Decor Satin Enamels paint in Dove Beige
And here’s how I did it.
Step 1: First I measured the height, width, and depth of the cabinet. Then I decided where I wanted the plates and bowls to go–above or below the cabinet insert–and measured the heights, widths, and depths of each stack.
Once I had my measurements, I grabbed my wood scraps. I actually found a piece that was the perfect size for the shelf part, so I didn’t have to do any cutting.
For the legs, I took part of a leftover 2” x 2” x 6’ pine board and cut four 3” legs.
Step 2: I gave everything a good, thorough sanding before attaching the legs. I attached the legs just as I attached the legs for my monitor stand: by gluing and applying pressure.
Step 3: Paint! I used Americana Decor Satin Enamels paint in Dove Beige. The paint is actually made specifically for cabinets, so I thought it’d be great for this project. I gave the piece two coats…
and then popped it in the cabinet. Fits perfectly!
I’m really happy with this, both because it’s a great use for scrap wood and because it has helped us make our teeny cabinets a bit more functional. Hope this tutorial helps you free up some space in your cabinets!