Make an Industrial Conduit Pipe Curtain Rod
I’m on a mad mission to clothe all of our windows in curtains. I want to help prevent drafting for the winter, especially on our two sliding glass doors, which aren’t super energy efficient. But I also think curtains are an easy and affordable way to make your house look like a home, so I’m finally getting around to hanging some.
Today I’m going to chat about how to make the industrial conduit pipe curtain rod that I put up in Mike’s office. As with many of my projects, this one was a contest with myself to see how low I could keep the cost. So my dad and I hit up Lowe’s after work one day and found a 10-foot piece of .75″ galvanized steel EMT conduit (aka conduit pipe). The list price was $2.70, but since one of the ends was damaged a bit and we didn’t need all 10 feet, we had the cashier knock off $1 (hey, every little bit counts!).
At Lowe’s, conduit pipe comes in lengths of 5 and 10 feet with widths of .5, .75, 1, 1.25, and 1.5 inches. Select your width based on the size your curtain rod brackets can accommodate. I purchased a 10-foot piece with a width of .75 inch. I decided on the .75-inch piece instead of the .5-inch piece because I didn’t want to use a center bracket and needed the pipe to be thick enough not to sag while holding the heavy curtains.
Here are the rest of the supplies I used:
(Affiliate links below; thank you for supporting my blog at no extra cost to you!)
- Pipe caps: I glued the pipe caps onto the end of the conduit pipe, making finials.
- Brackets: We have ugly vertical blinds mounted on our sliding glass doors, so I needed brackets that extended at least 4.5 inches from the wall. I ordered these.
- Other supplies: Rust-Oleum Protective Enamel in Flat Black, Liquid Nails, power drill and screws, pipe cutter.
And here’s how I did it!
(Remember to wear a mask and eye protection while sanding and working with wood, and wear an appropriate mask while working with paints, stains, and finishes. Follow the directions and warnings from your particular brand. Do not use any tools without proper training, precautions, and supervision from a professional. Read my full disclaimer here.)
Step 1: I cut the pipe using a pipe cutter. My dad helped me with this one. We cut my pipe down to about 6.5 feet and chucked the damaged end.
Step 3: I mounted the brackets. Then I squirt some Liquid Nails into the pipe caps and popped them on each end of the pipe.
When they had dried completely, I hung the rod in the brackets and dressed it up with some curtains. I love how they hide the ugly vertical blinds the apartment complex has on all of the sliding glass doors…
And that’s it! I think they turned out great, and the total for the materials was only $1.70 for the pipe, $3.96 for the two pipe caps, and $12.99 for the brackets. I already had the spray paint and the liquid nails. I could have kept the cost for this project even lower had I not needed larger brackets that extended 4.5 inches from the wall, but even at $18.65, I’m really pleased with the result! Now on to the next project for Mike’s room…showing how I hemmed these curtains!