This quick and unplanned hairpin leg console table has turned out to be a really great piece. I had a 52-inch piece of wood left over from another project, and it was the perfect size for a console-type table in a skinny little pass-through area we have in our apartment. I ordered some hairpin legs because I’ve been dying to make something with hairpin legs. The legs were a total splurge, but I love them!
This is an easy project that would be a great intro into furniture making. Since it’s a console table that doesn’t hold much weight, I didn’t have to worry about building support into the underside of the table; I just finished my table top and screwed the legs on!
Here’s what I used to make a hairpin leg console table:
(This post contains affiliate links. You can read more about that here. Thank you!)
- 10 feet (length) x 9 inches (width) x 3/4 inch (thickness) piece of pine—Home Depot cut it down for me in the store.
- Power sander and 220-grit sandpaper
- Rust-Oleum wood stain in Golden Oak
- Rust-Oleum Ultimate Polyurethane in Satin (for interior)
- Tack cloth, rag, paint brushes (great deal on chip brushes here)
- Legs, leg hardware, and a power drill. I got my legs on Etsy…you can browse the various hairpin legs and shops here. I was looking for a very specific height, so I had them custom made. You can browse ready-to-go legs here on Amazon.
And here’s how I did it!
(Remember to wear a mask and eye protection while sanding and working with wood, and wear an appropriate mask while working with paints, stains, and finishes. Follow the directions and warnings from your particular brand. Do not use any tools without proper training, precautions, and supervision. Read my full disclaimer here.)
Step 1: Even though the wood is unfinished, I gave it a good sand to break the surface and smooth out the edges. I sanded at an angle to round the edges just a bit. After sanding, I wiped it down with tack cloth and gave it a coat of stain. (Read more about staining here.)
I wanted a lighter stain for this piece so that I’d have a nice contrast with the legs. I was iffy about the Golden Oak while it was going on, but I think it turned out really nice.
Step 2: I wanted a very matte finish for this piece, so I gave it three coats of satin water-based polyurethane. I sanded very lightly between coats to smooth out any brush strokes and air bubbles.
Step 3: When the finish dried, I attached my legs using a power drill. (I bought my hairpin legs already finished.)
This was tricky and a little scary because my piece of wood is only 3/4 of an inch thick, so I didn’t want the screws to go all the way through the wood or split it. But I also needed them to be beefy enough to hold the legs in place.
And here’s the final product!